Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"The Help'-Sitting at the well

“I am starting to notice things...”-(pg. 183)

“what makes you think colored people need your help?...”Why you even care about this?... YOU WHITE...”I’ve never had a colored person speak to me like that...”we want to show your perspective...so people might understand what it’s like from your side. We-we hope it might change somethings around here (pg. 192)

READ: LUKE 10:25-41

Ok ladies we are coming close to the date we are meeting, to fellowship with one another...so the next couple of insights may be sporadic throughout the rest of the book...So bear with me, and don’t worry I will let you know what chapters I am getting my inspiration.

Here’s a question-How hard is it for us to practice the art of “being”? Due to our circumstances or experiences we have noticed the dark things of this world, we are go-getters so we assume people need our help. Not only that but we try to bring to light a variety of things in order for people to understand a different perspective and we hope with God’s grace we would be the front runners to change things. We serve others and keep going..and going...and going. We try are the over achievers who are used to doing all the planning ourselves... These are GREAT things, these are our callings after all, but if we are to be the best to further God’s kingdom “being” seems to be more of a concern to our Father.

I must admit “being” is just not one of my “gifts.” For me, even as a toddler my great-grandmother used to tell people “I’ve never seen that girl walk.” What’s true then is still true today I only know one speed and I still seem to be able to maintain that speed. But that’s not the point of this life-how much we can accomplish in one day. I am beginning to see my day to day is about going to the well.

Here’s what I mean: In ancient times wells were built in order to provide water and it was dug to great depths in order to get to the water in the desert. Wells were positioned outside of towns and were places women would gather to collect the essence of what would sustain them and give them life. The women WENT to the place to get them life and took what was already there provided for them. They would go away refreshed and supplied with what they would need throughout that particular day. They just brought themselves and their buckets and sat waiting for life to fill them.

We might be women who have noticed the pain and hurt of this world when no one else does, we may even be in positions to help other women in various ways you ask for help or you just give it. We are all women who desire to leave behind a legacy for younger women, our children, and our grandchildren.

I challenge all of us this week to also try to leave behind the legacy of “being” and living that before we fight on the battle lines. This is new to all of us-so let’s us travel together down this road.

Spiritual Rhythm: Memorization
Continue the rhythm of breathing God throughout your day. Pick one verse this week, something that moves you, then write it out and take it with you where ever you go. Think of it, revisit it throughout your week. Something that allows you to sit at the well and enjoy the “water.” This will be your “water” for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment